Sunday, August 8, 2010

My Auntie May

Just a side note to finish off this weekend of blogging. I didn't write much about my trip to Denver. Now that I'm on a roll to catch up, I had to include my Auntie May.

Aunt May lives in a nursing home and is at the end of her life - she turns 92 this year. Growing up, I didn't spend a lot of time with my aunts and uncles. Being a kid, I just didn't think much about family ties. My Mom came from a family of nine and all except an uncle lived in Denver. After the passing of both my parents, I think I grew up finally and realized that family extensions are important. Aunt May and Uncle Roy didn't have children - they had a baby boy who died after a few days of life. They kept to themselves and were very private. Not having Mom and Dad around, I latched on to Aunt May and Uncle Roy. My kids and I spent weekends taking them to Denny's or the Village Pancake House for breakfast or lunch. Uncle Roy loved patty melts and both loved their coffee - Ryan once counted the coffee creamers used and stacked about 15 into a tower. They loved Wendy's and McDonalds - the hamburger and fries.

After Uncle Roy couldn't walk anymore, I remember taking him to King Sooper's to grocery shop with Aunt May. I put Uncle Roy on one of those motorized carts - pretty soon, he was navigating down the aisle like pro. What fun.

I visited my Aunt May and brought my new grand baby, Maxime, and Ayla, the older sister. As you can see, she loved seeing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment