Sunday, June 26, 2011

June 26, 2011

June starts the countdown to Close of Service - four months left.  I feel that time is short but at the same time my daily living slows to a crawl.  Weather affects me a lot.  It's been hot, rainy, and terribly humid - I can't get energized and motivated to keep busy.  Because it's so hot outside, I find myself not wanting to walk and take the taxi or bus.  I still sweat profusely - will never acclimate to this climate.  I have a good rhythm for keeping cool:  wet wash cloths refrigerated, lots of ice cold lime water, and 24/7 fan in front of my face.  I always take a sweat rag, hat, and umbrella when I go out.

I flew into St Louis for the wedding - the temperature was 96 and humid, but strange as it may seem, the Belizean heat of 80's and humidity felt so much warmer.  Fortunately, while there, the temperature cooled down and it was a comfortable trip - of course, staying at a nice hotel and getting rides in vehicles made it so much more luxurious. 

Now, this week, my son, Ryan, and his family will visit me for the first time - it's exciting to show them Belize and have them meet the Belizean friends at work and in San Antonio.  Hopefully, my next blog will have pictures of their time here.

Work continues to progress slowly, but I look forward to a positive move and I can continue forward with my training.  Next month Peace Corps will have a Close of Service retreat to instruct us on how to finish our stay here in Belize.  Reality will hit then for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment