Sunday, October 17, 2010

October, 12month mark

My time here is on the downward slope with twelve months to go, and I'm still struggling. Time is short and I have lots to do at NAVCO, but I look forward to a temperate climate and living in the States again.

NAVCO's Annual General Meeting went well - we had over 200 village leaders, the meeting went relatively smoothly, Mr. Dawson was elected president for a second and final term, the exhibitors showroom was successful with interaction and interest from the delegates. This coming months and next year will be interesting politically - next February the parties will select the runners for political positions - from that point, the campaigning will begin. Mr. Lopez will try to be the nominee for the UDP party - an area rep for Cayo South - similar to the House of Representatives in the States. If he does get it, dynamics at NAVCO will change.

At the one-year mark, Peace Corps gives volunteers annual physical - even though I had my physical when I was in Colorado last June, I decided to get one here. The last few weeks, I've come down with breathing problems - at first I thought I was hyperventilating but after talking to Larry and Carol, fellow PCVs today at lunch, I'm beginning think it's something else. One of the PCVs just developed mold in the lungs.

Finally, got my editing application connected to the website - found a young Belizean IT person who whipped it in just a couple of hours. I can't believe that I stewed over this since June when I could have done this sooner. Anyway I'm ready to go!

In another week or two, I'll be traveling down south to the Stann Creek District, Dangriga, to help set up the DAVCO office and train a new secretary. I was scheduled to train another PCV for that office, but she suddenly left, this left project in limbo and I'm taking over the role. Hopefully, in the next week, Mr. Lopez and I will start the PC application for the next PCV to replace me next year.

The Belmopan Library still lingering in dire need of help - I've persuaded Ms. Mary to apply for a PCV there too. It's such a sad situation to have the capital of Belize have only the one library to service the city and its city proper.

Weather here is nice - still the hurricane season but the temperature is mild and pleasant. I remember last year this time, it was hot, hot, hot with hardly any clouds.

2 comments:

  1. Sandy, by accident I happened upon your blog and found it very interesting. We were just in Belize visiting our son, Sam, who is a pcv in Jalacte. You are all to be admired. It is obvious, after visiting the country, that the volunteers face some tremendous challenges. Thank you for what you are doing and keep up the good work.
    Jan Serpente janserpente@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jan, for commenting - as an older pcv, I find this experience eye-opening which includes many mixed feelings and perceptions of what I'm doing and why I'm here.

    ReplyDelete