Sunday, October 31, 2010

Hurricane Richard

In the last few weeks, I worked through some trying times, at least for me, and I am not as strong as other volunteers here and for a while I wanted to be home in the States. It all started with my breathing problems, the x-rays of my lungs showed normal and after talking with the Peace Corps medical nurse, I still didn't have an answer for my problem other than the speculation that I was reacting to the all the pesticide spraying I did in the house. I had to confess that I sprayed constantly using a large spray can every two weeks. I was exhausted with the shortness of breaths and not able to sleep - I slept on the sofa - I finally realized that my enclosed bedroom was saturated with the pesticide. After work I went to Brodies to buy benadryl, I spoke with a new pharmacist who perfectly prescribed what was happening to me. I was experiencing an allergic reaction to the pesticide. She recommended a sleep aid product which was benadryl. Perfect, I thought! The next few days, I opened the windows wide as possible and used the fan to ventilate the room. Slowly but surely, I started to feel better and after about a week, I finally was able to sleep in the bedroom breathing fully again! I am now sleeping under a net and ceased spraying in the house...at least for now!

In the meanwhile, here comes Hurricane Richard - headed directly to Belize, in particular Belize City and Belmopan. Peace Corps started the emergency stages with the Alert, Stand By, and then Consolidation at the Garden City Hotel in Belmopan (as you recall from my first experience with the hotel, I really didn't want to stay there). Fortunately, the Belmopan volunteers were allowed to stay in their homes except for me. My place was risky because of the trees. Instead of the hotel, Peace Corps approved my stay at Larry's house across the street since he had no trees. I secured my house: turned off the electricity at the electrical
box and disconnected and stored all the electrical equipment. Belmopan was on the direct path of Richard which passed through the city about 7:30 pm - electricity was out and the winds blew rattling the tin roof. Looking out in the street the trees were bent and debris flew past on the street. The loud thunder, rumbling winds and rain were a bit frightening. After about three hours, the storm passed and I thought this wasn't so bad.

The next morning around six, we finally walked outside to see Anthony from Peace Corps checking out my house which was covered by all the debris of trees. Fortunately, the trees didn't fall on the house but did create a mess outside. My front door was blocked because the eaves and the electrical meters tore off. After hacking the tree branches and moving the trunks, I was able to get inside - everything inside was intact and dry.








I just spent most of the week getting my house back to normal: Mr. Lopez and Larry temporarily hammered back the eaves and the electrical meter - that gave me
the electricity.


Anthony hired men to hack and haul the trees and branch debris; the telephone company replaced the internet and telephone box; and, finally, Stanley from Peace Corps hooked up my clothes line! You might think a clothes line trivial but that's an important part of living here, and
it was welcomed in my world - I, at last, was able to wash and clean!






Since the NAVCO office was without electricity the whole week, I stayed home to make sure things were coming together but knew I needed to get to work to prepare for the Saturday training in Corozal. On Friday, Jacklin and I worked all day putting packets together. Yesterday, we traveled to Corozal town to meet with the DAVCO board to train the trainer. Out of twenty, we only had seven show up - quite disappointing. The biggest obstacle in attempting to achieve any progress was the ability to motivate these leaders to show up.

Our main focus is to get each of the district DAVCOs' offices up and running and hopefully operational by January 2011 just in time to start the Liquor License Fee collections, a large part of any revenue for the village councils.

In the meantime, Larry trudges on with the revising of the Village Council Act - a major legal document leading the village councils to move forward. In its present form, it's too general, vague, and in some places contradictory - this act is the engine for the village councils and training on the various aspects such as accounting and financial reporting are cumbersome and confusing.

Well, enough of my rambling, this is Halloween - hope everyone enjoys the holiday - Belizeans also celebrate here with candy and costumes but based on last year's stay here I didn't witness any trick or treaters. Anyway, I'm off to meet volunteers for lunch then Mr. Lopez will pick me up to finish the budget to the ministry.

3 comments:

  1. 12 months will fly by and after all your hard work and enduring the bugs, line drying clothes, lots of carbs, you will be home! I look forward as each day passes in seeing you! When you mentioned the machette, I did not grasp the amount of work you had to do just to literally go home. Sorry I wasn't there to help, but looking forward to our visit in spring. You still never cease to amaze me with your huge heart, intelligence, and beauty. I miss you and love your blogs! Keeps me focused and grounded on the things in life that are truly important. Thank you. Love and miss you. Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Sandy, that's amazing! Here in the States we didn't hear a whole lot about the effects of the hurricane in Belize. As I was reading of you staying with Larry as the winds pounded, I couldn't help but think here we would have evacuated whereas where would the people there evacuate to? Such an incredible difference in the way we live. I'm so glad you are ok but I'm sure the whole experience will take some time to come to terms with. I bet this PC experience is a whole lot more than you bargained for, huh? I am totally amazed by what you've endured. I am ever so glad I hightailed it home but,on the other hand, I missed out on an extraordinary life experience. You are just amazing and I applaud you vigorously!!! As for the bug spray, stop using it! As the nurse I am, there are real health concerns associated with that stuff!Hang in there, Sandy and I'll continue to pray for your and root you on from afar. You are awesome!! Love ya, Karla :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Karla - I've tried to email you a couple of times but no response so I'm thinking that I have wrong email. when you get a chance email me at my aol - yamakishi@aol.com

    It's been awhile since I blogged - lots of ups and downs personally, hard to write in that mood, but determined to write this weekend.

    I now know the danger of spraying to avoid the bugs versus coming out of venture healthy.

    ReplyDelete