Saturday, December 4, 2010

Long Coming Update

November passed faster than I thought would happen - my time was slow for a long time then suddenly the year mark changed my world view of living in Belize. Immersed in the affairs of Belize at the national and rural level, I found many disquieting observations on the dynamics of this country and its people.

After the NAVCO AGM in October, we started the "Train the Trainer" for the district association boards. The basic training included 1) how to run a meeting, how to take minutes, make a motion, controlling the agenda and time; 2) how to do the required book keeping and financial reporting; and 3) how to organize the filing, document management, and office procedures. After the district board training, the board members then train the village councils. The Cayo district president scheduled village councils sessions Saturdays and Sundays - I traveled to the villages to help, observe, and monitor the trainers - they did a great job so far.

At the same time, Jacklin and I worked to set up the district offices. This week we travelled to Ladyville near Belize City and to Pomona in Stann Creek - the January deadline to get them functional and operational will be tight but doable. I was spoiled with Mr. Lopez driving us to the rural villages - this time, we had to travel by bus which took us two to three hours one way each day. I forgot how riding on these dilapidated buses was cramped, bumpy, and hard on the rear. Still...the bus rides allowed time to see the countryside and I am once again awed by the beauty of the hills covered with rain forest hues of green.

The biggest problem I encountered with the leaders of the village councils and the district board members was just getting them to the meetings. I felt frustrated to see so few who come. Many of these elected officials barely have primary school education - few could add and subtract much less write. Entangled with politics and personal interests and greed, these ineffectual village councils, an important and relevant part of development in this country, gave me doubt on my role to help Belizeans.

I understand the mentality of everyone fighting for the buck to survive because life here exists at bare minimal standard - everything is imported and costly but the wages don't match the cost of living. There is hardly any manufacturing or big industries except for citrus and sugar cane. I have to scratch my head...the rural people live in poorly constructed concrete houses, zinc roofs, dirt roads, and phone, electricity, water quality not always reliable...yet, many people have television, cable, and cell phones.

As I write this I do admit that the people I do work and train find value and are motivated to follow through with the various duties. Jacklin is my change agent to make it worth it, along with the few women that are motivated to better their life.

The Belmopan Library secondary project is a joy for me - Ms. Mary, the librarian, is a sweet lady who is determined to get funding for the building. Two proposals submitted to a large local NGO were rejected - she found out that the rejection was political (again) - the area rep (same as the House of Rep in the states) discouraged the NGOs from approving the grants solely on personal vendetta on Ms. Mary's husband. This time we resubmitted with back up from the city council and mayor - hopefully, this will do it. We planned on a book sale last two weekends ago to draw people to the library. At the last minute, the main library squashed it with lots of red tape for approval by a committee on every single old book we wanted to sell. All this was frustrating and discouraging.

We're having a holiday party for the children next Saturday - at least we can do that - another volunteer, Roger, is coming to play the guitar and sing for the kids. There will be story telling and refreshments.

On the personal side...Thanksgiving was work day and didn't feel like a holiday - I called my kids in the morning and forgot that the phone charge was a day rate - 12 minutes cost me $36 bucks!!! I facebook two games, Farmville and Cafe - Jacklin got me hooked and it kept me sane and less anxious. This Monday and Tuesday are training time at the Peace Corps office - it'll be a nice break and good to see other volunteers. I might go with a volunteer couple to Guatemala over Christmas - I haven't done much traveling for fun. November was not a good month for me - eye infections, my breathing episode with the pesticides, lots of rain every day, oh, yeah, a moldy big toe again! I feel in my bones, that December will be a more productive month - time to catch up and get projects started.




2 comments:

  1. Glad you had a chance to blog and keep us all up to date. The holidays are tough, indeed, for me too. I really look forward to you coming home when the family will all be together. Although the times are tough, the end is in sight and what you are doing to touch the lives of Belizeans is amazing. Jacklin is lucky to have you as a mentor and example, I am even luckier to have you as a mother and friend. Sorry to hear about the buses. I can't imagine they are comfortable or smell pleasant. But roughing it will give you great appreciation for when you come home! As always, I admire your perserverance and humility. I love you much. Talk soon- not when it is the day rate though!! :) Love you. XO Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandy,
    Just got around to reading your latest blog. Things sound frustrating so I hope the holiday trip bolsters your spirits. I agree with Kim's comments about all the good you are doing despite the set-backs. We will have a quiet holiday as Dennis does not celebrate Christmas in a big way. And, over the years, I've become less and less interested because of all the materialist hype that starts as early as October. We will have a nice dinner at home on the 24th. with Dennis' twin brother. Then, if weather permits, we will drive to the Bay Area. I will stay at my friend Adrienne's and plan to see Ron on the 26th. He is getting ready to move so will be home for the holiday break. Our campus is also closed from the 24th. to January 2 which will make a nice break. I'll be back in Reno around the 27th. and Dennis & Don will travel around Northern CA gathering information for their web site. They want it to go live by January and need to do a lot of work as far the resource information on the site. My niece and her family will be at a ski resort about 45 minutes from Reno, so I will also be able to visit with them. Then I plan to just relax. I could go on and on about the frustrations of working for a privat college, but I'll save that for another time. I hope your trip goes well and gives you a much needed break. Take Care, Lynda

    ReplyDelete