Saturday, August 20, 2011

August 20, 2011 Tropical Storm Harvey

Tropical storm Harvey...I'm in my house on the internet playing word game while the wind and rain pummel my trees and zinc roof - I guess I have one more storm before I leave.  Fortunately, I can stay in the house while the other volunteers have to consolidate at the infamous Garden City Hotel.  I'm watching very carefully out the back door the trees - looks like the big one is holding but the tree adjacent to it appears to be more likely to fall.

With my two years living in Belize, I take these storms in stride because I'm used to the downpour and the high winds.  I don't fear being in my house either - the tree is holding.

I'm slowly eating my canned and freezer food - trying to minimize buying and storing food stuff.  I made an inventory of my household items and gave the list to my San Antonio family.  They'll take most of the stuff.  Last weekend, they took the table and four chairs and two sofa chairs - my place looks empty already.  Other people eager to get my things - moving will not be hard since I'm leaving with two suitcases and a back pack - the same as I came to Belize.

My original projects at NAVCO are pretty much not happening - the situation is still the same, and I've pretty much given up on finishing them.  Instead, I will finish the Village Council Training Manual with PC volunteer committee.  The website will be solid hopefully with Jacklin at the helm - still need a lot of tweaking but I don't anticipate problems.  Then, finally, I decided to give sessions to my cohorts on business writing and grammar structure.  Giving these skills will help them tremendously.

No comments:

Post a Comment