Wednesday, September 21, 2011

September 21 Belize Independence Day!

It's Belize's 30th year of independence.  The national holiday includes ceremonies, parades, and fireworks. Last weekend, the Honorable George Price, the founder of the new nation, passed away at the age of 92.  This morning, I watched President Obama speak to the United Nations.  Since I've lived in Belize, I developed more awareness of the political environment both here at a micro level in a small country and at a larger level in our country - an interesting perspective watching world news from outside of the States.

 Since my last blog, I've waited for things to write even though life at NAVCO progressed.  So...to catch up, here's what's happening.  On August 6, we had a meeting at the George Price Center for the district boards - the meeting involved a leadership and motivational training which proved successful and all the participants learned and enjoyed the session - this training was expensed by the training grant which was received at the beginning of the year but the main gathering was used to alert everyone about the situation with the president.  Everyone agreed and signed a no-confidence letter to submit to the president by the NAVCO board.  Sad to say, I have to interject that the mode of operandi for Belizeans is to hold off and not take any action, and that is exactly what happened - the letter was not given to him, and life at the office continued badly.

Finally, the board met again last Saturday, September 17.  This time I coached and mentored the members to take action and unite.  I sat in the meeting and made sure the meeting progressed without digression and tangent to personal attacks, the motions and voting were correct.  The board members took the helm and actions were taken:  1) the president was to bring the NAVCO vehicle back to the office; 2) keys to the NAVCO bedrooms (he was using the bedrooms for his son and family) are returned to the office; 3) the budget was realigned to allow the organization to survive until the next fiscal year.  The last action reduced the president's salary to a minimum which he refused to accept.  He then announced that he would take a two month leave.

In the meantime, last week, the office was burglarized.  Three computers, DVD player, stereo equipment, and projector were taken.  Suspiciously, the three computers taken were mine which contained all the financial records, Ms Corona's computer which had all the chief administrative records, and Larry's PC where he had all the Village Council Act revisions.  Jacklin's computer in the front office and the computer sitting next to the electronic equipment were not taken.  The next day, the police held a suspect that happened to have a CD external device that belonged to me and was in my desk drawer.  Two days later, the police found the computers in a trailer on the show grounds not far from the office and arrested two other suspects.  The one suspect said that someone told them to take these specific computers but would not reveal the name for fear of being killed.

My time in Belize is short now, and I'm slowly waiting for the end.  I've come full circle here - when I lived with my host family two years ago, I sat at the Bull Frog Inn to use the internet and have breakfast.  I disconnected my internet service at home a few weeks ago and returned to the Bull Frog.

I keep hoping that nothing dramatic happens until I leave, like another hurricane, my tree falling on me, or any unexpected event to make life more difficult.  Finally, the heat decreased and it's not too bad walking outside.  The rain is still with us but that too is not bad.  Of course, I can't get away from Belize without another bout of termites and sure enough there is a slow trail of termites tunneling in my concrete wall.  I sprayed it last week thinking that it stopped the tunneling until last night when I noticed the tunnel was longer.  At a closer look, I saw the tiny little wormy bugs etching there way down the wall.  Fortunately, Anthony from Peace Corps is meeting with me on Friday about my water bill which was suddenly very high.  We're meeting with the water service to figure out if there is a leak or error in the reading.  I'll ask him then if he can spray one last time.

My San Antonio family will take most of my household things - I wanted Belizeans to have my things, especially in the villages.  They already took my table and chairs - my place is looking bare with only my sofa, tv, and bed.  I'm sorting out clothes - I plan to leave most things and bring back only the minimum.

My next blog will give you my plans on final days here.  As I get close to the end, I have mixed feelings about leaving.  Don't get me wrong, I am excited about coming home to friends and family, but I realize that I will lose something when I leave - the beauty of this country and the people are treasures and part of experiencing life.

No comments:

Post a Comment