Monday, October 10, 2011

October 10 - Time's a Ticking...

It's hard to believe that I leave in two weeks.  I have mixed feelings about leaving Belize and the work here.  There is so much more that can be done here at NAVCO and the districts, yet, I know that I can't do everything.  Well, the NAVCO board finally took action against the president and ousted him this past Wednesday.  The board members are relieved and now eager to move forward with the organization.  This helps me in giving them concrete strategy to move forward.  It is exciting to see finally that the organization will be strengthened which, in turn, will support and grow the districts into strong, operational advocates for the village councils.

I'm slowly eating out of the house, packing, sorting, and check listing what needs to be done to leave the country.  My termites are creeping down my wall.  I keep hoping that the population won't explode before I leave the house.  Because of the leak in the toilet, I have to turn off the water until I'm ready to flush...talk about learning to conserve water.  I felt so hassled about doing this until I heard from other Belizeans that it's a common practice to flush after several uses and, of course, sans toilet paper (it's disposed with in a trash can next to the toilet).

I was riding the bus last week when I saw another rider with some large paintings.  Curious, I asked about them.  She was the wife of the artist who lives in Benque and was on the way to Belize City to the art galleries.  I called her a couple of days later to see if I could buy a painting.  We met at the bus stop, and I was able to buy three beautiful paintings - a wonderful keepsake of Belize.  Then I found a Mayan lady from Armenia Village who makes intricate baskets and bowls.  She invited me to her home for a birthday celebration - hers and her son's.  I took great pictures of her place, the countryside is beautiful, and I met all her family.  Of course, barbecue, the main stay for Belizeans, beans and tortillas were delicious, and it was fun to watch them cooking on the comal with wood.

Still lots to do this week:  finish the Village Council Training Manual, give a workshop in business writing; continue to train Jacklin on the financials for both NAVCO and Cayo DAVCO; meet with the newer PC volunteers to get them up to speed on the work to continue; and finish training Jacklin on the NAVCO website.

I'll try to post one last time before I leave Belize.

1 comment:

  1. Mammasan, I have to truly commend you for your commitment to helping our world become a better place, for braving the unknown, surviving the elements and drastic lifestyle change, making new friends and making old friends and family proud. Your blog has helped us learn what else goes on in our world outside of our egocentric lives and encourages us to follow in your footsteps. I know you made a huge impact in many lives while in Belize and I realized that when I called the office for you and I couldn't have heard more sincere love and respect for you. They will all miss you as we welcome you home with open arms and look forward to all the stories outside of your blog to share. I am so proud. I love you and can't wait to hug you. XOXO, Kim

    ReplyDelete