Saturday, October 22, 2011

OCTOBER 22, 2011 - My Last Day in Belize

I have now completed my two years of service to the exact day from 2009.  What a roller coaster ride!  I'm sitting in my hotel room in Belize City overlooking the sea and the swaying palm trees; it's a bittersweet feeling because I'm leaving wonderful friends and family (my Canto host family).  I leave today at 3:15 for Denver, back to my family.

The last ten days were hectic trying to finish with projects, training, and saying good-bye.  Ms. Moody, my wonderful 71 year old lady gave me a tribute at her church with a traveling prayer, a choir song, and money to buy a Belizean souvenir.  The Belmopan Library gang gave me a fond farewell with a poster and card and cupcakes.  The PC volunteers here in Belmopan gathered for the last Chinney lunch and card games.  The gang at NAVCO gave me a wonderful send off with certificates of appreciation, a Belize flag, pictures, tote bag, and all signed a NAVCO shirt. Ms. Moody composed a special song which she sung with such a lovely voice.  Each gave a word of appreciation which made me realize how much I was leaving behind here in Belize.

Yesterday was my last day at the Peace Corps office, interviewing with the country director, the program manager, training manager, and the medical nurse.  Again, I felt so much appreciation for the office staff for helping me through the two years.  I had to spend some time trying to get my bags under the 50-pound limit for the plane - what trauma!  It's amazing that I even had stuff to take home considering that I was down to sandals on my feet and two sets of pants and top to leave Belize with - I gave most of my clothes to my Belizean friends who really needed it.  I took the bus to Belize City with my bags - I wanted to save money to spend on a nice hotel for my last day.  I kept thinking that I was almost home without any glitches and traumas, needless to say, that wasn't the case.  Half way through the bus ride, the back door flew open and out went my backpack and suitcase - bouncing on the highway.  Fortunately, a government vehicle was behind the bus, and the driver was able to stop and retrieve the bags - both pieces didn't break open although my brand new suitcase was cracked, scraped and looked beat up.

I won't end my blog just yet...I want to write one more blog to end my journey as a Peace Corps volunteer which was amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment